Vintage 1934 Rolex Art Deco "Prince Elegante" (Ref. 2536)
1934 ROLEX Art Deco Mens "Prince Elegante" Ref. 2536 Watch - Stainless Steel
In the 1930's after developing their famous Oyster case and before making the transition to specializing in mostly sport watches, Rolex crafted their Prince line of watches to meet the needs of their exclusive clientele.
The rare and sought-after wristwatch featured in today's offering is an example of one of those pieces, a member of the acclaimed Rolex Prince family. Powered by Rolex's celebrated tonneau movement, considered one of the finest rectangular mechanisms ever built, it easily kept perfect time.
Prince Elegante model, a member of the celebrated Rolex Prince family of watches
Pleasing dial with wonderful raised gilt numbers and track
Better quality movement featuring an oversized winding barrel and balance wheel. By placing these two mechanisms at opposite ends of the movement the watch achieves incredible levels of accuracy and carries a longer power reserve, enabling it to run longer and more accurately on a single wind.
Solid gold balance screws and high quality escapement insure exceptional timekeeping. Shapely and elegant stainless steel case with curved back to fit the wrist.
This specific movement was rated "Ultra Prima" for its accuracy, the highest distinction given to a movement after it was assembled and tested. Rolex's ordinarily accurate movements were not labeled with any "Prima" designation. Then in ascending order were "Prima", "Extra Prima", and "Ultra Prima". Few movements were rated "Ultra Prima."
It is in it's original condition. Its attractive steel case appears to have never been polished. It retains perfectly strong number, model number, and Rolex stamping on the back
* Country of origin: Switzerland, made for the British market
* Serial no.: 033309
* Year built: c. 1934
* Model: Prince Elegante, reference number 2536
* Functions: Hours, Minutes, Subsidiary Seconds
* Designed for: Men
* Case material: Stainless steel
* Case markings (outside): Case number, ref. number 2536, Rolex crown Modele Depose
* Case markings (inside): Rolex, 25 World Records, Geneva Suisse
* Case condition: Excellent. Appears never to have been polished. One small scratch on the side and one tiny pin prick on the back and light wear. Very honest and presents very nicely.
* Dial: Silver, signed Rolex, wonderful raised gilt Art Deco numerals and outer minute track, appears original with fairly mild to moderate aging. Please inquire if you would like it restored.
* Dimensions: 22mm wide (excluding crown), 38mm long lug tip-to-tip
* Hands: Original, blue steel, "diamonds"
* Movement type: Very high quality, signed Rolex, 18 jewels, rhodium plated, oversized balance wheel and winding barrel for enhanced accuracy and longer power reserve, gold balance screws, gold jewel chatons, precision finished escapement
* Movement markings: Rolex, Ultra Prima, Swiss Made, 18 Rubies, Chronometre, Timed Six Positions
* Band: Hirsch, top grain leather, remborde, brand new and unworn
* Crystal: Mineral glass, mint condition
* Timing: Serviced and timed to precision on a state-of-the-art computerized system. Keeping very accurate time.
*We do not offer exchange or returns.