Vintage 1934 Rolex Oyster
1934 ROLEX Early Oyster Vintage Mens Watch with Sector Dial - 9K Gold
Without question one of the company's greatest contributions to horology is in the area of waterproof cases. The Rolex Oyster case birthed the idea of the modern sport watch as we know it and was a key catalyst for the initial widespread acceptance of the wristwatch.
Several events worked to greatly popularize the watch: Sir Malcolm Campbell's land speed record attempt where he achieved a speed of 272 mpg, all done while wearing perfectly functioning Oyster. And, of course, perhaps the most well-known early event in the company's history: Mercedes Gleitz's English Channel swim wearing an Oyster. Following the historic event, Rolex took out a full-page ad in the Daily Mail introducing the Oyster.
Interestingly, this is one of the relatively few so-called "manual wind Bubblebacks" - non-Bubble back watches that were made with a Bubble back style case top. The watch came from the factory instead fitted with the handwound version of the movement and case fitted with a slim back. The movement was the same base movement as used in early Bubblebacks, just without the automatic winding system added on top. It is a Rolex "hunter" handwound movement timed to six positions.
During this period, after assembly and testing, Rolex labeled their best performing movements with a "Prima designation." This designation then had three levels - Prima, Extra Prima, or Ultra Prima. The rare high-grade Rolex offered here is a rare example designated "Ultra Prima", the highest classification, and it's dial proclaims its "Extra Precision." The centerpiece of this watch is the original and untouched "sector dial" with silvered track. It has a wonderful aesthetic that has desirable collectability.
* Country of origin: Switzerland
* Model: Oyster Royal
* Year built: c. 1934
* Functions: Hours, Minutes, Sweep Seconds
* Designed for: Men
* Case material: 9K gold
* Case markings (outside): 3x,668, hallmarked on the left hand side
* Case markings (inside): Oyster Watch Co., Geneve Swiss, Great Britain Patents, Swiss Patents, French Patents, USA Patents, German Patents, Rolex Coronet symbol RWC
* Case condition: Very good condition. The thin case back has one indention and a few other spots of wear to the back including a couple spots of wear to the wrench grooves. There is a hallmark on the left side. On the wrist it presents beautifully.
* Crown: Correct non-original Rolex "Oyster + Patent", screws down well.
* Dial: Silver, signed Rolex Oyster Royal and "Extra Precision" Fab. Suisse, black painted radial Arabic numerals, outer railroad minute track and metallic silver sectors, original and untouched
* Dimensions: 31.5mm wide (excluding crown - 35mm including the crown) by 38mm long lug tip to tip
* Hands: Original, blue steel, "diamonds" with red counter-weighted seconds hands
* Movement type: Signed Rolex, manually wound, nickel finished, 17-jewel lever movement with Breguet overcoil hairspring, index regulator
* Band: Leather, fully stitched, lightly padded, designed for fixed lug use, brand new and unused
* Width between lugs: 17mm
* Crystal type: Acrylic, excellent condition
* Serviced: Disassembled it down to the last screw and cleaned and oiled the movement.
* Timing: Timed to precision on a state-of-the-art computerized system.
*We do not offer exchange or returns.