Antique 18 K Gold Plique-à-Jour Virgin Mary Heavy Pendant
A very remarkable 18 K Gold pendant, dating back to early 1900's, with rare and unusual features as follows :
1) It has measurements of 40 x 17 mm ( with bail ).
2) Weight - 5.85 grams.
3) It is made using the “Plique-à-jour” technique : Plique-à-jour (French for "letting in daylight") is a vitreous enameling technique where the enamel is applied in cells, similar to cloisonné, but with no backing in the final product, so light can shine through the transparent or translucent enamel. This is an extremely difficult technique.
4) The pendant is high relief and made in France. It is made by the famous Ernest Guilbert, who was a very well known and appreciated French sculptor and carver ( born 1848, died 1913). His signature is very well recognizable as may be seen from the close up picture.
5) The pendant dates very probably from the early years of the 20th Century as Gilbert passed away in 1913. It is very probably either a birth or a first communion gift.
6) The chain in the picture is NOT gold but plated. It is included as a gift in the offer. 47 cm - 19 inches chain.
7) Eagle French 18K Carat hallmark on the pendant.
This very rare item is highly attractive and extremely well done.
In an exceptional " as new " condition, it is definitely a unique heirloom.