CHAMPAGNE VILMART & CIE
A family business for five generations, Vilmart is driven by unique intuition, a taste for precision and a certain form of freedom. In 1890, Désiré Vilmart founded the house in the heart of the village of Rilly-la-Montagne, at the foot of the Montagne de Reims.
The 11 exclusively Premier Cru hectares of the Vilmart vineyard are located in the Rilly-la-Montagne terroir. The proximity of the plots and unity of place, a particular feature in Champagne, allows the vines to be tended with particular care. The Vilmart vineyard is also notable for its mix of varietals: a majority of Chardonnay (60%), with the remaining 40% planted to Pinot Noir.
This proportion is highly unusual for the region, essentially planted to Pinot Noir and Meunier. The estate’s vines are on average 35 years old. Grapes from the oldest vines, which are 60 years old, are reserved for crafting Coeur de Cuvée and Blanc de Blancs champagnes.